Forum home Talkback

ladybirds

I have several lady birds in my sitting room and would welcome any tips on keeping them alive through the winter

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,528

Apparently they hibernate in the same place every winter. If it's too hot in the house and you find that they are wandering about or flying around, you could move them to a shed or somewhere cool. I find the best way to pick them up is to lick my finger and press it gently down onto their backs. They lift off quite easily.

If they aren't moving about but are just in a huddle on the window frame you could just leave them where they are. They will mysteriously disappear when they think the time is right.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

We have metal French doors, they appear to have no gaps but when opened ladybirds fall out

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,528

Some of ours always choose to roost on the cords of some sash windows. Often we forget that they are there and open the windows. Then there is an unpleasant crunching sound as they go round the pulleys.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,582

Oh pansy, I wish you hadnt have told that image image

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Loads of butterflies hibernating in the house this year. I've put them in the porch where it's cooler, but frost-free.
  • We have had a huddle  of ladybirds in our kitchen widow for the last two years, we like the thought of us keeping them safe over winter.  My other half refused to paint the window sill this year when we were decorating in order to keep the ladybird safe image