ID please - unknow bulb

Any idea as to what this might grow into?

Found these whilst weeding and have no idea what they are,  look a bit like walnuts

Thanks all

• Could be an Arum ...........they are shooting now........can be rather invasive.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,274

I'd guess arum lily too, perhaps one of the more tender types with spotted leaves, judging by the shoot.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,014

If it's arum maculatum, as philippa says it can be very invasive and damn near impossible to get rid of.

Nice to have 1 or 2, but they seed everywhere. Roundup has no effect thanks to the shiny leaves, and even a minute bulbil buried a couple of feet down will shoot up through the heaviest waterlogged clay.

As you may have guessed, I have a problem with this one!
    Was hoeing again today, but still they keep coming through

Of course if it's not, then don't worry, and either way - Happy Christmasimage

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Happy Christmas to you also and many thanks. I have just googled arum lily and I can remember these from earlier in the year. Had know idea what they where - but they have a really unpleasant smell.

We have been digging over the bed to put in conifers - trying to make the garden a little more user friendly and less hard work

Found these pictures - I think this might be them

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,088

That looks more like Dracunculus vulgaris.

Is that a picture of your plant?

Arum maculatum is the native plant known as Jack in the pulpit, Lords and Ladies and numerous others.

What I know as Arum lily is Zantedeschia aethiopica.

The latest pictures aren't either of those.

• Yes at least I think that is what the walnut looking bulbs grow into - been trying to find a picture of it flower - it has dark purple/black coloured flowers that open up from the spike shown in the first picture

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,088

Google Dracunculus vulgaris and have a look. Sounds like it and looks like it.

• just done that and think you might be right - I know somewhere I have pictures of it in flower - will try and hunt them down 

Thanks for your help

• Happy Christmas ???? to you also and many thanks. I have just googled arum lily and I can remember these from earlier in the year. Had know idea what they where - but they have a really unpleasant smell.

We have been digging over the bed to put in conifers - trying to make the garden a little more user friendly and less hard work