Forum home Talkback

tropical garden scheme

Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

http://www.cooltropicalplants.com/index.html

This is in no way an advert, I don't think he even sells anything, but it's packed with lots of info regarding selection, growing and winter storage delivered in a very easily read, and witty  manner.

Devon.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

the following passage on winter clearance made me laugh out loud

• This of course all needs to be cut down, chopped up and added to the compost bin.  The stems are cut down using secateurs.  These stems are then chopped into small sections using a machete
    • This is done over a large container to avoid having to pick too much up.
    • Because of the age we live in I feel compelled to state the obvious fact that a machete can cause serious personal injury, particularly if used when drunk.
    Devon.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,528

It reminds me of a back garden I used to go past on my way from Balham to Kingston. Also this fantastic garden centre I sometimes visited just to window shop.image

http://www.palmcentre.co.uk/

I can only dream of the idea from up hereimage

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Thanks for posting that Hostafan.  The only other amusing catalogues I've come across were the old Chiltern Seeds ones. Full of funny asides and weird information. Since passing to a new generation, these are nothing like as entertaining as they used to be. 

Since most gardeners ( judging by this forum anyway ) seem to have a weird sense of humour, it is good to know someone out there is carrying the bannerimage

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

any mention of Balham reminds me of Margo Leadbetter " oh they speak French in Balham but not Latin"

Devon.

Yes, Balham gateway to the southimage

I loved the Good Life.

• DorsetUKDorsetUK Posts: 441

A lovely site, not one I can follow due to size and position of garden but a good read throughout and a great attitude to life and gardening in general

• I have seen that site a few times. It has been off my bookmarks so it has been good to re-visit the site and have bookmarked on my new laptop.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,582

Was it Tony Hancock that said about Bal Ham gateway to the South.?

Thanks for the link Hosta.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Dennis Norden and Frank Muir I think were taking the mickey of travel programmes on tv. Peter Sellers took it up later on.image

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,582

Ah yes! Peter Sellers.! I remember now.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.