The blue 'Privacy settings' box in the bottom right corner is a new legal requirement under GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). It can’t be dismissed or hidden as the idea is that it must be easy to access at all times should you wish to change your settings.

Eucomis

philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,293

Have just collected some seed from my Eucomis ..........has anyone any tips for when to sow and what medium is best ?

Thanks image

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,293

Mmmm.......I've only got 3 seeds so I think I'll hang on til the weather warms up.  Thanks Eddimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 24,630

slices of leaf place vertically in compost is quite successfulimage

RHS says;

Leaf cuttings
    1. Take leaf cuttings in early to mid-summer
    2. Choose a healthy, undamaged newly-matured leaf from a well-watered plant
    3. Use a sharp knife to cut through the base of the leaf, making sure not to damage the remaining leaves
    4. To raise a larger number of plants, cut the leaf across the midrib into 4-6cm (1½in–2½in) sections, ensuring you keep them facing the direction they grew on the plant. Alternatively, make the cuts into shallow chevrons to point the way for you
    5. Insert the cuttings vertically 2.5cm (1in) deep into pots or trays filled with moist cuttings compost
    6. Place in a propagator, or cover with a clear plastic bag, and keep at 20°C (68°F). Do not overwater and remove the cover twice a week for a few hours to prevent rotting
    7. After eight to ten weeks, individually pot up the bulblets that have formed along the bottom edge of the leaf sections

Might be as quick in the long run though Eddimage

I'd do both

Also if you have one of the cultivars you'll need to do the bulb offsets or the leaf cuttings to get the same plant

• BerghillBerghill Posts: 2,902

I have dozens of baby bulbs from seed sowing a couple of years back. The seed germinates very easily (too easily, there are baby plants all round where the parents were growing). Don't be in too big a hurry to prick out the seedlings. Sow in a deep pot and let the plants grow in it until they get a decent size bulb underneath. Feed the babies with liquid fertiliser in the growing season. It speeds up the time it takes to reach flowering size.

Edd......I'd think year 3 rather than season 3.  They can take a while to bulk up sufficiently before I'd risk planting out.  I have 3 different types but I only grow in pots and bring in to cold G/H for serious winter.  Waterlogging is a danger around here.  I do grow on any offsets but was just interested to try them from seed as well.

Nutcutlet.......I was amazed to read about leaf cuttings.....I've never considered that method for Eucomis and not seen it suggested before.  I'll certainly have a go at that next summer and see if I can get it to work.  I shall of course happily blame you if I end up with hundreds of themimage

Berghill.......thanks for that.  I've only harvested 3 seeds tho so I don't think I'll have too much of a problem pricking out image

You can blame me for anything Philippaimage

I know it works because I saw the results. Unfortunately, as with many other cuttings, they weren't my results. Mine diedimage