Shed treatment query

I have a new shed. It is was pre-treated with a water based substance by the company that built it, but they advised me to treat it with an oil-based product, e.g decking oil, within several weeks. I would like to paint the shed a wife-friendly colour and would like to know if I need to treat it with oil before I paint it, or if there is a paint that will do both jobs, or if, even if there is a paint that will do this, I should treat it with oil anyway?? I have searched the other threads and can't find answer to this exact question. Thanks for any help. Pete W

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,218

Oil based products are best used on untreated wood really because they will soak into and sink into the wood very easily. Whatever water-based product the company applied will have been applied with the idea of being in some way a sealant. The timber will therefore be more resistant to a being soaked with oil.

We used Cuprinol Garden Shades which is a water-based paint designed for wood. The colours are attractive but any knots in the wood do show through after a few months.

Best to check what the tin says before buying I think.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,248

We used Cuprinol Garden Shades too, I like the wood showing through slightly. Though, after a second coat it hardly shows at all. It preserves the wood but lets it breathe.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,657

Another vote here for Cuprinol Garden Shades - our builder was very impressed with its coverage too. image

http://www.cuprinol.co.uk/garden_colour/colour_selector/index.jsp

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 1,252

I think Pete it is really a choice between, oil product or paint, rather than both.

Read the paint tin, it may need a primer, but if I were going to paint I would not use a decking oil first as there could well be compatibility issues between the two systems.

My own preference is for sadolin stains, expensive as hell, but last the longest in my experience and are pleasant enough to work with.

• Thanks for all your answers so far. I should also mention that the missus wants to use it as extra storage, primarily for craft products that might include paper, card and other materials that might be easily susceptible to water damage(of course, we will take extra precautions because of this and as I know she would desperately love to have it in "duck-egg blue", I'm wondering if the special paint offers as much protection as oil, against water infiltrating the interior of the shed.

Thanks again.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,283

Modern water-based wood treatments are very good and will prevent water penetrating, especially if you use several coats.  However, storing paper based products in an unheated outbuilding can lead to issues due to the large variations in humidity and temperature which can lead to condensation.  Anyone who leaves steel tools out in an unheated garage or shed knows that they will rust, even if it is perfectly dry as humidity in the air causes water to condense on them when they become cooler than the air in there.  A layer of insulation on the inside walls and roof should help, such as rockwool or insulated sheeting such as Celotex.  Both of those would need a layer of something covering them, such as thin plywood.  You would ideally run a dehumidifer in there which would require a mains supply. An alternative would be to keep everything in air-tight plastic boxes.

Some links which may help:

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_8197700_store-books-garage.html

http://www.realsimple.com/magazine-more/inside-magazine/ask-real-simple/store-books

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,218

Yes, sheds aren't really designed to be totally dry. I think that you would need one of those fancy office type things.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.