Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Pruning an apple tree

I'd like to prune this apple tree down to where the red and blue lines are

It also needs, well more work than I can put words to, any advice on how best to proceed?

Thanks - MJ

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Hi MJ. I'm no apple tree expert so listen to any that are. 

However, what I would do with that is remove the entire branch that starts low down on the right. Back to the trunk. If you look at your marked cuts there won't be much left in the way of productive growth on it and it would balance up the shape.

Also, cutting off ends of thick branches like that can lead to die back or long straggly regrowth and looks ungainly at best. 

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • I completely agree with nut and would remove the whole branch on the right, right back to the trunk.  Because it is growing from very low on the trunk, it may even be from below the graft and that would explain why it is so vigorous compared to the rest of the tree (which seems fairly well shaped.)

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • what type of apple is it?you could loose a lot of apples this year ,but you are conditioning the tree to meet your needs i suspect you want a tree you can pick  fruit from eye level thats good .look at the tree see where the buds are forming and cut an inch above ,wait until a dry day and fungicide then use a pest control insecticide organic if possible and treat the tree before the buds  burst  keep the tree open in the middle good luck  

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

You could be right about that large branch being from below the graft Bob.

Do you get different apples on different parts of it MJ?

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Thank you for your replies

So I'm sure are you saying cut off the branch where the green line is?

• nutcutlet
    Thank you and not sure about different varieties of apple growing, this is for an elderly friend and wont see them until possibly Monday so will find out then.

BobTheGardener
    Thanks for pointing growing possibly below the the graft, I had a countdown "I knew that one" moment soon as I read you reply

marksman065
    Aware that might lose apples this year, the idea - As you picked up on - Is to be able to pick fruit at a lower level.

PS Is there a "Preview" option so I can check my post for mistakes?

• Yes, I would remove the branch where you've put the green line. 

Have a look here http://riversidenativetrees.com/pruning-trees/ at Fig. 1 which shows the best way to remove a branch without leaving a big wound.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Yes MJ, that's exactly where I would cut it.  Leave a small part of the old branch proud of the trunk as cutting completely flush will damage the branch collar and inhibit healing;  You want to cut just flush with the end of the branch collar.  Don't try and cut the whole thing off in one go as that could be dangerous and also lead to tearing a strip of bark from the trunk.  Make an undercut a few inches away from the bottom of the branch first, to avoid any possibility of tearing the bark.  These links should help:

http://www.wikihow.com/Cut-a-Limb-from-a-Tree

http://www.todayshomeowner.com/how-to-trim-large-tree-branches/

http://www.treehelp.com/how-to-prune-a-tree/

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Thanks again for your help guys, I will do an update once the work is done image

• Afraid there's not a preview option, but you can edit your post as long as no one has posted following you. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.