Forum home Talkback

Hydrangea

When should I prune my very large Hydrangeas, how much shall I take off, they are leggy and falling over. I noticed that my neighbour has recently pruned hers to about 2ft from the ground, I think she always does this and they have looked fantastic this year, short and compact and covered in flowers. Is it too late to do them now, image

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Pop round and have a word with your neighbour as she has been so successful with hers.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,785

It's a bit early - best to wait until the worst of the winter is over or early spring.  However, if they are blowing about and risk wind damage, you could take some off now and trim back further in late winter.  RHS pruning advice here as things differ for some types:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=516

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • I usually wait until February to prune mine - sometimes March if the winter has been a bad one.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,281

Mophead and lace cap hydrangeas flower on old wood so pruning them now or in spring will remove all the flowering wood.  If this is the kind you have and thay are too large, take out every other stem in early spring so you at least keep half the flowering wood.   Once they have flowered, you can cut back the rest to encourage new flowering wood to form.

If you have the paniculata kind you can prune them back quite hard in Feb or March and they will produce new wood that will flower in summer.   They thrive on being pruned as it makes them bushier and more sturdy.

Whichever kind you have, give them a generous feed of pelleted chicken manure and a liquid tonic of rose or tomato fertiliser in mid to late March as this will help with both stronggrowth and flowering.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,582

I bought the Vanilla Fraise, 6.99 from Parkers, it was beautiful, they start white then change to pink. Looking to be promising next year.

I have this which is one of my favs, there are over 40 here in this garden. The only ones I am not keen on are the white, they dont stay white for long, they get pink tinged edges, then turn bluey grey. I have to have a constant supply of cuttings.

Then it turns

There is nice mixed row here. These are huge. Just plain ones though, every single one but the vanilla fraise dad had grown from cuttings.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• I never prune mine until late March/early April or till after the last frosts. Mine always come back full of flowers.

Lyn yours are beautiful. 

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..I've grown Kyushu, but it didn't do well for me.... the white flowers went brown quickly..maybe too dry area...I was disappointed so got rid... however, a magnificent specimen down the road from me, does well every year... I should have tried it in another part of garden probably...

I still have 'Limelight' and 'Phantom' paniculatas... Limelight got demolished by snails early on but recovered late... I think it will be really nice next year... young plant..

Phantom always does well... the flowers fade to pink tinge later and I want to get some more height into it, but it's a profuse flowerer when doing well..

..hope your one does well for you... I'm sure it will in better soil..with moisture...

'Phantom'