Forum home Wildlife gardening

Bossy Birds!

I expect Edd is going to have a field day with the title of this thread. image

We've had a wagtail visiting for the last month, won't tolerate anything else at the bird table. He keeps chasing off the robins and blue tits. They only get a look-in when the great tits arrive and see-off the wagtail, usually by flying in very close over his head, he doesn't like that at all!

So who's the boss at your feeders and tables?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391

I have a blackbird who 'owns' the table while feeding but doesn't stay long.  The rest of the birds know that and just hang around the area until he flies off. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,918

Who are you calling a fat bird Edd?...image

Starlings here definitely but I had a cunning plan with my hanging table....and it seems to be working...so far image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,918

Had a flashback there Edd - looks like my ex mother in law.........image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,264

crows / magpies are a pain at my feeders. They know I don't get up early ( unless I have to ) and I can hear them from my bed.

Starlings are a pain at this time of year as they congregate around the farm at the end of the lane.

By and large the others all get on pretty well, bless'em.

Devon.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,544

Greater spotted woodpeckers are very stroppy and wn't share with other birds.  I have two sets - one lot prefer the peanut feeders and the other the fat balls.   Everybody else is happy to share both hanging feeders and the ground stuff all day long but recently we have had a family of jays visiting early and they're not very good at sharing either.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286

I think our Jays are probably the true number 1 here, they don't need to squabble with the others, when they come in, everything else (even the wagtail!) makes an exit imageThey do seem to have set times though, so the rest work around them OK.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,176

Goldfinches here. They could start a fight in an empty room.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Kathy 2Kathy 2 Posts: 122

It's the robin round here - he chases all the other birds off, even when the hanging table and tube are full!! They just work round him when he's had his fill.

Merry Christmas to all.

• nightgardennightgarden SW ScotlandPosts: 112

Here it is one of a pair of nuthatches that whizzes up and down all the feeders clearing everything else away until the gs woodpeckers arrive then he eats away quite peacefully with all the other birds as they return. I have 1 robin that pushes another robin away but tolerates all other birds and a chaffinch that does the same - only objects to other chaffinches.

That's one terrifying pigeon Edd!

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Male blackbirds rule here. Only exception was a few years ago in the bad winter we had a flockimage of fieldfares land and they ate the lot and nearly every berry in the garden within an hour image 

Poor Walter ( not a pigeonimage ) but a collared Dove was terrified. Bossy blackbird made some noise from the garage roof and the robins observed from a distance.