Forum home Talkback

Plant ID's please

Hi Peeps, help with the above please. Some of them are a bit skeletal but I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337

1) looks like a Daphne, possibly Daphne odora Rebecca.

2) I would guess at a perennial oriental poppy of some kind.

3) might be Madonna lily - looks like the old flowering stems were recently cut.

4) possibly Shasta daisy?

5) is Musk Mallow I think (short lived perennial and they sprout from the base like that after cutting down.)

6), 7) & 8) a bit too blurred.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,395

5 might be sidalcea ?

6 could be cotoneaster horiz. variegata?

8 might be marjoram ?

wouldn't stake my reputation on any of them to be honest.

Devon.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,564

1. don't know daphnes wellbut looks OK

2. agree with Bob

3. looks like a digitalis, maybe ferruginea or lutea

4. don't know

5. Yes, musk mallow or one of several similar species.

6 maybe a variegated Lonicera pileata, a clearer photo would help.

7, a clearer pic might do it

8. ditto, but could be oregano/marjoram, try it for smell

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

I know it's difficult at this time of year, the garden I'm working in hasn't been well maintained by the previous so called 'gardener'. 

6 I managed to identify as a Lonicera. 8 isn't a herb, no smell at all, first thing I thought of as well, I think it's a salvia of some sort. 2 isn't a perennial poppy, there are actually two plants there, the one in the front is the mystery. Again maybe a salvia of some sort I know I've seen it before, but memory fails me.

I had thought of a Daphne, but it's in the wrong soil for it and it's not doing well, so thanks for the confirmation.

Thanks for the musk mallow, I had a suspicion, but wasn't a 100%.

4 is a very young shasta daisy of some sort, I realised after posting I'd done it by mistake, they are everywhere. self seeded of course.

7 is the real sticker for me, It's about 4-5ft tall and all that's distinctive is the seed head, first glance I thought acanthus, but it's not, but the seed head is similar. I may have to wait for next year now as they are all composting now!

Thanks for your efforts peeps, appreciate it.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 19,186

http://extension.umass.edu/floriculture/sites/floriculture/files/plant/images/related-species/Stachys%206%20species%20Stachys%20monieri%20Common%20Betony_0.JPG

I wondered if no. 2 could be betony (Stachys officinalis). I have some in my garden and the leaves are like that.

Could No.3 be a Michaelmas Daisy or even a campanula persicifolia? Two very different plants I know but leaves can be similar and it's hard to tell at the end of the growing season.

I would agree with 5 being a mallow. The ones after that are too out of focus.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • 1 is like my phlox - is it Nora Barlow?

2 looks just like my oriental poppies when they die down - or marguerites when they just coming up

could 3 be a pentstemon?

6 looks a bit like caryopteris - blue flowers?

and the last one marjoram

OK - probably not right, but it's often hard to tell from a photo

I don't know how I managed to pass 2 as an oriental poppyimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,405

Maybe you need to borrow my glasses Nut? image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Maybe I need to go and pick up the ones specsavers have made for me Doveimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,405

Good idea - and I'd better stop wearing the ones that are four years old and get myself another appointment image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh