Forum home Wildlife gardening

Squirrels

I guess no bird feeder is totally squirrel proof,

i don't know if you can see but the one squirrel is actually inside the nut feeder.

sorry I couldn't get a better picture and yes the squirrel got out ok.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,258

Little b******s.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • vic14vic14 Posts: 82
    I bought a nut feeder with a cage around it so squirrels cant get into it. I still had to padlock it shut though!!!
  • This nut feeder has got a cage around and the squirrel manages to get into the cage.

ive had to bring it in (the feeder that is not the squirrel)I don't want the squirrel to get stuck,silly I know but I would feel awful if it got stuck.image

• vic14vic14 Posts: 82
    They are crafty little things arent they. Im sure i saw one running off with a small mammal in its mouth a couple of weeks back.
  • TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Great photo Chrissy! Naughty, but very cute!!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,286

When I fed the birds at work we had a feeder which was a plastic tube with holes in it for feeding sunflower hearts - it had a lid which clipped over the top very firmly!  One day I looked up from my desk to see a squirrel head down and almost totally inside the plastic tube, eating his way down to the bottom!  No wonder those sunflower hearts had been disappearing at a rate of knots!  You should have seen him squirm and struggle to get out of the tube as I walked across the lawn towards him breathing fire!

After that I had to fix the lid down with one of those spring clips you get on the end of a dog's lead image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• mix the nuts with the hottest chilli powder you can find, it only takes one or two bites for them to take the hint! image

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391

I think squirrels are like their ground-based rat cousins - if they can get their head through a hole then they can get their whole body through it!

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • I'll try that treehugger

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,448

Sometimes if you have a problem with squirrels it is an idea to give them their own separate feeder with peanuts in (the type with a flip lid) so they don't use the bird feeders.

My sister does this and finds it works as long as she remembers to fill their feeder.

The squirrels tend to go for the easiest option.

I am on the Isle of Wight and we only have red squirrels here so I would actually like to have a squirrel problem!!

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings