Forum home The potting shed

Wrong coal?

Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

I wonder if anyone has any ideas about this.  Our wood burner is a mufti fuel and in the winter we keep it going overnight and thro most of the next day with a load of coal, the wee eggs type. This year a new coal supplier has persuaded us to take anthracite 

its disastrous!doesnt stay in, turns to clinker and goes out if we put more on top.

what in earth do we do, we have 10 bags of the stricken stuff lying in top of last years which was ok!!

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
A A Milne

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

If it's still bagged up phone your new supplier and ask them to come and get it!

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

Sadly it's not, they dumped it. Problem is those around us with open fires say its no good for them!

A A Milne
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,928

Contact your supplier and tell him!  If it's unsuitable for the job then hopefully he'll take it back - you might have to bag it up for him but if you explained the sort of stove that you have and what has worked in the past, and he supplied a fuel that doesn't work then the onus is on him to replace it with something that does work.

Good luck image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Lily P I used to have a Parkray and had the same trouble with anthracite it was more like BBQ charcoal than the coke we usually had.  It also smelled unpleasant outside when lit.

I would still contact the new supplier and ask them to take it away, they can re-bag so they know how much to take away. If they won't do that could you try mixing it with some of what you usually use and see if it stays in.  I think I was told that the height of my chimney as it was a bungalow was inadequate and anthracite needed more air. That might have been a load of rubbish to fob me off.   

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

Now I'm not in the best position to say as my experience with coal is more to do with 14 ton steam engines than domestic fires but I'm sure when we tried anthracite it needed a strong updraft (air flow from underneath). Is there anything you can do on your fire to help the air flow?

You might need to dig down and try mining buckets of the good stuff at night (when its all shut up) unfortunately.

Is it worth phoning your supplier to see if they have any advice / complaints from others?

• granmagranma Posts: 1,879

The stuff you have is too small for your appliance.ask him to exchange ity he should do .he has missunderstood what stove you have.

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

Useful advice everyone,

our burner has special vents to turn when using coal, we have never had a problem before which is why I fear we have been fooled

we are quite rural and the local chap wasn't in business when we tried to contact him last month, so this had come a distance from a " distributor" who wanted our email address!!! My grandfather was a coal merchant, can't believe I have been duped?image

A A Milne
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,264

Anthracite has a lot of carbon in it and not so much of the tarry stuff. That's why it burns blue and not yellow and it is also why it's very difficult to start. It is usually used in boilers. I don't think that a log burner gets enough draught to get anthracite started.

If you are in the habit of buying coal then anthracite is not the same thing and you should ask them to take it away.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Anthracite is the best steam coal in the world, it should be used in solid fuel stoves and boilers not wood burner/multifuels. It will burn too hot if you get it going properly. Now, in an AGA, Rayburn or boiler it would be fine. If you really get it going it will burn out the inside of the stove.

If you can't return it I would mix it well with the coal you have left and make sure you get the right stuff next time.
  • DorsetUKDorsetUK Posts: 441

OOOOH 14 ton steam engines!!!! Lovely things.  re the anthracite, sounds like they had brought the wrong stuff and were determined not to take it back.  Try your local council and the 'not fit for purpose' branch.  Or yes get hold of the distributers and complain loud and long, maybe the bosses don't know their driver dumped it on you