Forum home Plants

planting fruit trees

vic14vic14 Posts: 82
Hi, im getting an apple and a pear tree (dwarf) tomorrow. They are to be planted into big pots. Im just wondering would they benifit from having some fish blood and bone mixed in with the compost? Thanks

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,048

Will you be using John Innes No3? If so, I think it will contain everything they need for the first year. No point in giving them too much and encouraging them to getting over excited.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Hi Vic. I planted a cherry tree last weekend but before doing so I rang into my local bbc gardeners question time with a similar question - my tree has gone into the ground rather than a pot. They advised to put some manure in and some food, but not too much. This was to both help with the moisture of the soil, help prevent freezing and also growth as although trees look dormant right now, they actually have buds which need food even in winter. This will give them a head start in spring.

good luck with it!

• vic14vic14 Posts: 82
    Thanks for the replies both. I have some multi purpose that i was going to use though now i think i will go and buy that john innes compost. Should i stand the trees in a bucket of water until i can get the compost? Sorry for all the questions im new to fruit trees

Are they coming by post from a reputable dealer? If so, they will be well packed and can be left in their wrapping in a cool, but not frosty place, such as a shed for a couple of days. Give them a drink when you unpack them and plant them out when the weather is mild and the ground not frozen.

They are from thompson and morgan. Its the first time ive ordered from them so im hoping they will be ok. image
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286

If you get a delay of more than a few days you can heel in bare root plants. Did this with my cordons and hawthorn, dig a hole big enough and bung them in. Don't firm them down, just cover the roots with soil. As they are dormant they can last like this until you get round to putting them in the ground properly or potting. Still got a few hawthorn like this because I got delayed towards the end of putting them in.image

Thanks gemma. Im hoping to pot them up on saturday. Also whilst im here the soil in my garden seems to be clay. Any advice on what i should definatley NOT plant in clay? Or should i start a new thread?

Good idea then you will get more responses.image

I shall do it nnw pansyface image