Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Cornus Flaviramea

I have a few youngish dogwoods all in the same area with sun from the east in fairly heavy soil and they all look fine with long whippy stems apart from Flaviramea which has stayed twiggy and very small.

Do they require different conditions to other dogwoods? I was wondering if I should move it but not sure where to.

Any advice welcomeimage

Wearside, England.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Hi Vic

In my experience they take longer to get going. Unless it's going downhill I'd give it another year

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • That's encouraging- I'll leave it then. The ends of the twigs are dry and brown but the main little nest is a nice green.

Thanks Nutimage

Wearside, England.

I'd cut it back to good wood when the worst of the winter is overimage

• Ok, will do - thanks for the helpimage

Wearside, England.
  • Hi Verdunimage

It is in neutral, fairly heavy soil with a clay base. Generally damp but not boggy - it's possible it dries out in summer but the soil is covered in wood chips as it is in my hen pen.

I haven't pruned it as I only bought it last autumn and it is very small - less than 1' with thin twig like stems. I bought a small midwinter Fire and another Sibirica at the same time and they are 3-4 times the size now with pencil thick stems...

Any suggestions?image

Wearside, England.
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Be careful what you wish for.  I planted one of these and it took a few years to get going.  Now it's creeping happily about the woodland corner in which I planted it which is fine for me as the space needs filling but may be less good for someone wanting more control.

I also have cornus Midwinter Fire and Alba Sibirica happily spreading about.   The Midwinter Fire can be a bit too enthusiastic and needs bits digging up.  The only one that isn't rampant is the mahogany stemmed, variegated leaved elegantissima.   

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato

Midwinter Fire took about 12 years to take off for me. I could do with a bit of invasiveness from 'Flavimera' (might have mis-spelled that) but still waiting. There's plenty of room, I keep telling itimage

• Thanks allimageimage

Wearside, England.