Small raised bed?

Hi, 

I am in the process of building a raised bed to grow vegetables next year. The problem is it is quite a small space, about 2 feet by 3 feet. I was wondering what I would be able to grow in the small space? Ideally, I would like to grow onions and carrots, maybe even potatoes and garlic if I have the space, but I'm not sure how much space they all need?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,606

Hi Dan image

You've not really got enough room for potatoes - one plant would take up all that space. 

But, you could grow a few bulbs of garlic and some Early Chantenay or Early Nantes carrots as they grow quickly, you can then harvest them and grow something else (or more carrots) rather than growing the maincrop type carrots which take up more space and take longer to mature. 

I'd also grow some mixed salad leaves or Little Gem lettuce - they don't take long and you can cut them as you use them and then sow some more.   A few of the early (quicker growing) types of beetroot like Pablo would also fit in there https://www.quickcrop.co.uk/learning/plant/beetroot .

I hope that helps.  Good luck image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hi, thanks for the advice, I'll give them a try!

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,155

You could try square ft gardening, split the area into 6. Flower buckets with their bottoms cut out and pushed into the raised bed would be ideal. You'd have 6 seperate growing area's then.

Radish, spring onions, salad leaves, dwarf beans and peas don't need alot of room to grow and could be sown seperately, in each of the pots. Micro carrots is another good one, beetroot, spinach or chad...don't expect a bumper crop thoughimage.