Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

netting crops

I tried growing a select of greens this year but and they were coming along really nicely until disaster struck! Caterpillars ate absolutely everything image 

I'm going to have another go next  year but was going to try using netting. Can anyone recommend what kind I use and the best place to buy.

Thanks

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

You need a very fine mesh. Try Enviromesh. The holes are too small for the butterflies to get through.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I used this, it works but dont let it touch the crop because she will lay her eggs on top and they get through the tiniest gap. Make a frame from water piping.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Soft-Butterfly-Netting-6m-5m/dp/B00DREDKIA/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1418421679&sr=8-17&keywords=butterfly+netting

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

As long as the mesh has tiny holes its ok but if a leaf touches the mesh the little wotsits will lay through it.

Someone on here uses scaffolding mesh, cant remember off hand who it was,  

• The maximum hole size in mesh for protection against small cabbage white butterflies is 7mm.  Google 'butterfly netting' and check that it states the holes are 7mm or smaller.  I have some heavy duty stuff from HH which is a few years old now and still in good condition - some of the cheaper types tear or fall apart after a year or two.  It is also strong enough to protect against woodpigeon assault - they are an absolute menace when growing any kind of brassica and can scoff all of your crops in just a few hours!

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

The one I bought from Amazon that I put the link up above is 5x7mm holes, i pinned it down well around the edges then you can place a few slug pellets in there knowing that they cant harm any hedgehogs frogs etc.