Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

How to prune 2 mature viburnums

I have inherited a mature garden of 20 years plus. There is a Viburnum carlesii and a Viburnum farreri ( I think) which are 8 ft shrubs with about 4 thick stems each. There is no new growth, other than a few inches at the extremities of the branches.

They produce flowers but not very many which I presume is due to the fact there is very little new one year old growth.

Given the lack of stems, what, when and how is the best way to rejuvenate these 2 shrubs to be more prolific flowerers? 

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Try this link to the RHS john, viburnums are usually pruned after flowering in spring and can take a hard prune, which in turn will produce new wood, so be brave, a hard prune can give you everything you want. As usual mulch and feed after pruning. 

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=168

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,352

Hi John

I have hard pruned several different varieties of viburnums - including a tinus which I hacked down from about 12' to 5' and a burkwoodii which I reduced by half. I have also hard pruned carlessii - but not quite as drastically.

I did them in late spring & without any particular expertise. I cut them close to the height I wanted & then applied the basic rules of removing crossing / old / diseased wood. I did try to leave a few branches that looked as though they might produce flowers the next year but you might have to sacrifice that for one year.

They looked a bit awful after I had done them but then responded really well and put on lots of new growth - which I have since kept properly pruned & shaped. As Dave says, a good feed, water and mulch after a major cut back will be beneficial.

Both carlesii and farreri are heavily scented shrubs - a delight to be near on a warm spring day - can't wait image 

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

If there are 4 stems I think I'd remove 2 right back to base this winter, then when you've got some new growth from there, cut the others next winter or the one after.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Nutcutlet I have PM'd you

Hampshire Gardener
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Thanks Gg, I've repliedimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • I have hard pruned a mature viburnam which had quite a lot of dieback, from about 7 feet tall to about 2 feet. I am very pleased with its recovery. I had expected its demise.

I will now keep it under control., say no more than 5 feet tall.

• JHWJHW Posts: 2

Thanks for all your advice and the time taken to give it.

I look forward to giving them both a hard prune, fertiliser and mulch and then start a 3-4 year cycle of growth.

John