Forum home Plants

Fuchsia cuttings

2»

• Thanks Geoff, thats very helpful. I'll give it a whirl.

• LilylouiseLilylouise Posts: 1,013

Karen - I always trim my fuchsia plants back a bit at the end of the summer and take all the foliage off,too. I am lucky that I have a greenhouse but if I didn't I would put my plant on a light windowsill for the winter and check every few days for the watering- keeping the plant just ticking over.By Spring there should be lots of new growth that would make lovely cuttings image

Pam LL x

• Paul NPaul N Bearsted, KentPosts: 300

And as for no light in your garage, so what? It won't need light. The leaves and flowers will have been picked off if you've followed advice or dropped off if you haven't. The plant will go into it's dormant period, it is resting. And as for 'water sparingly', thats been answered above. It's a HARDY fuchsia which means in the ground it will stand the winter outside. In a pot, in your garage, you won't need to concern yourself with taking cuttings..

• Thanks again for all inputs. Actually I've hijacked someone else's topic, and I don't know if this is a hard fuchsia or not. I decided to take the cuttings nonetheless because if the plant dies I definitely won't be able to take them in the spring! I doubt the plant or the cuttings will surviive, but I'll know more for next time.

I'm slightly confused about the differences of opinion regarding light, but if temperature is important then the garage will be a better option than anywhere in the house.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

Will try to explain Karen-I don't see any differences of opinionimage

If you gave cuttings- therefore green growth- they need light

Paul's reference was to a plant with no foliage -so it does not necessarily need light-until you kick it back into growth.

• Oh, duh! Thanks!