Raspberry Canes

I have been gifted some raspberry canes (Octavia) which I believe are summer fruiting variety, (please feel free to correct me if I am wrong).  I have approximately 12 canes in a 1 litre pot.  

When would be the best time to plant the canes as I am worried the ground will be to cold i.e. frozen at the moment.

Also will I get a crop from this variety in 2015 image

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

I'd get them in now if the ground isn't frozen. Temperatures will really drop soon and they'll be better off in the ground than in a pot. If it really freezes before you can do it, bury the pot to soil level over winter and plant in spring.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,414

I absolutely agree with Dave - as long as the ground isn't solid get them planted now.  I'd give them a mulch as well. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thank you, I just hope it does not freeze this weekend and bring a short end to such a kind gift.

Please can you advise what type of spacing is required?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,414

Everything you need to know here https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/grow-your-own/fruit/raspberries#plant

Enjoy!  Raspberries are my favourite fruit image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I would get them in now with a thick mulch as suggested, I was given a bunch of canes by my neighbour about 3 years ago, first summer they gave a modest crop then with thick mulch applied every January the last 2 years have provided bumper crops of lovely, lovely raspberries.
  • Ordered mine last week expecting a February March delivery but turned up today!

At least it's not raining so off to replace my raspberry bed.

It's about 10 years old and starting to wane. I have gone for half summer and half autumn.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,226

I'll just add - don't plant too deeply, about 3 inches, spread roots out and cover with soil then mulch.

When planted they should be pruned to about 10". Summer fruiting raspberries fruit on 1 year old canes, those are the new ones that grew in the summer. The ones that fruited should be cut down to the ground when they have finished. That means that after planting and pruning to 10" you won't get a crop in 2015. But you would if they were autumn ones.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Thank you for the link Busy-Lizzie, 

I have planted them in my plot at the weekend, fingers crossed they will be OK, as I ran out of daylight to apply a mulch, that will be my next job, let's hope the weather stays kind image for the next couple of days. 

• We didn't manage to prune our summer fruiting raspberries in the autumn are we still able to do it now in December? Thanks Catherine