broad beans sown in autumn

Val15Val15 Posts: 2

Do I need to use a cloche/polytunnel/fleece on these?  And is there a cheap and cheerful way of improvising to make any of these?

I planted them recently and they have already started to germinate.  I read that they were hardly up to -10 deg C.

Would be glad of advice please?

• happymarionhappymarion Posts: 4,591

I grew Aquadulce in the autumn for Mr. Fothergills trials last year as did about 20 other gardeners up and dpwn the country and we all had magnificent results.  In facy i ate them at at least one meal for over six weeks and saved 200 seeds to sow this year  and they have germinated.  The quickest way to get rich is sow broad beans, i say.  I did not use any cloches as we sowed in October and they needed string round poles by the winter to support them.  However last winter was mostly mild and wet and suited them well.

• happymarionhappymarion Posts: 4,591

I had so many I had to give lots away which brought lots of thank you presents back as very seldom do you see such fresh young enough to cook whole broad beans for sale anywhere.  My spend on food went down too as there is only so much my stomach can take.  I gave away 150 of the seed beans as well and had more thank you presents.  It is amazing how often I was having pineapple or out of season melon at my meals!  I did feel rich and am sure there is not a millionnaire anywhere who has as lovely food as I do.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,269

Maybe its the weather I get here, but last year I grew some of the beans for October planting and save the rest until Spring, they cropped at exactly the same time. From now on I will plant in the Spring only.

I was forever out in the garden in the winter rescuing fleece and driving in more stakes, just wasnt worth the worry for me.

I would rather do a bumper crop in Spring and freeze some.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,696

I grew 4 rows of Aquadulce Claudia the winter of 2012/13, sowing them in the last week of October - for at least 10 weeks of that winter they were under 18" of snow  followed by a long cold spring.  We had a wonderful crop, starting picking around the end of May. 

Aquadulce Claudia are as tough as old boots.  I've never given them any protection and never had a problem. 

Another 4 rows growing happily out there now image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Maybe its an altitude thing then, because I picked them all around the end of May, the winter ones just sat there and by April you couldnt tell the difference. They reckon for every 100mtrs above sea level, you can deduct 1deg c, thats 3 for me.

The winter sown and planted Spring greens did very well, I have been picking since about March. Not so with the broad beans.

My dad, who has gardened here since 1986 said they wouldnt do well, but I needed to try for myself.!

No it dont help a bit Ed. 

• AshdaleAshdale Posts: 149

morning all, I had a bumper crop of  broad beans last year and froze a lot of them.  Can anyone tell me why some of the frozen batch have turned black?image

Good morning Ashdale image

Did you blanch them before freezing?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• AshdaleAshdale Posts: 149

Erm, don't think I did.  Blanched some of my peas but not the beans, I fear.  Is that likely to be the problem? Some of the beans are fine. 

That's my guess.  Are they black inside?  If not I'd cook them and pop their little jackets off and eat them - they won't be poisonous. image