Forum home The potting shed

Kindle e readers

Nothing whatsoever to do with gardening I'm afraid but I have noticed several forum members mentioning their use of  a Kindle to access the forum.

I own the original basic Kindle which I bought in 2009 to access reading material in English.

Altho I much prefer "physical" books, I have accumulated a heck of a lot of books on my Kindle and still find it useful for instant purchases.

I'd like to update mine but am finding rather mixed reviews on Amazon's website.  There are several new models ( Paperwhite, etc ) but I am unsure really what the stated improvements are.

The battery life seems unchanged for a start.  I like the idea of the touch screen but I am wondering whether the graphics have been improved.  A lot of the books I have purchased include maps and even using the largest print available, they are often illegible which is pretty frustrating to say the least.

I'd appreciate if any of you using the newer Kindle models could offer your opinions on the newer ones.

Thanksimage  

• I'd go for an iPad air
  • Another ipadder here

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

Samung note user here - I'd definitely suggest getting a tablet of some variety rather than just a Kindle. The Kindle app is free to download but of course you then also have a tablet open to a variety of uses.

My samsung lasts around 10 hours use (unless I'm watching a movie) and has a screen film over it to protect it and also reduce any screen glare (can be a problem sometimes in harsh sunlight).

• The Kindle Fire is a tablet, I love it and use it all the time. It's also much cheaper than the Apple offering. For reading, it's full colour, you can change the size of the font and enlarge pictures. You can also read and annotate PDF documents. You can get all the usual apps as well. The battery life seems very good.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,635

I have a kindle fire hd. Very good, easy to enlarge print etc, and good for downloads. very easy to download free books from amazon. Brilliant for holidays for lots of books to read. For typing I prefer a macbook laptop.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Kindle Fire is good. I have 3 in the house (hubby and 2 children). I have the original one as well because I had a lot of books and I've 'moved' nearly all onto it. The fire ones do last a long time powerwise.

• Forester_PeteForester_Pete DevonPosts: 87

Kindle ereader for reading books ebooks are great, I dont think I have picked up a real book since, but are only any good for text really. Battery life is months under normal use. The paperwhite I believe is just an inprovement not a tablet.

Tablets are very much more flexible with the touch screen, zoomability and there is an app for everything. Apples are great if you like apples but will cost you more then non apples. I have a Kindle Fire and use it for games and web browsing on the sofa. Battery life on the tablets will be measured in hours and you really cannot use them outside, unlike the ereaders.

For basic stuff the ipad or a kindle fire do the same job, the latter being a lot cheaper though. Other devices are available. Next time I would probably get a slightly larger screened Android machine rather than the Fire. But the Fire is a very good device for the price. I believe the pricing model assumes you will buy stuff from Amazon afterwards so the profit on the device is very small.

No easy choices though.

• I have had my Kindle Fire since May and I use it every day.

Pros, A good clear e-reader, quick for reading emails, good internet access, good app choice

Cons, does not support peer to peer roaming, so you need to be near a wifi hotshot to access internet.

Still the Kindle Fire HD 7" is a good buy for me

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,592

Love my kindle paperwhite but thinking of upgrading to a Fire as having a colour screen appeals.  I would then have my mags on there and some reference books.  Will have to check weight though.  Is the battery life good.  I use my paperwhite every day and the charge lasts weeks.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • Forester_PeteForester_Pete DevonPosts: 87

The batteries on e-readers with the electronic ink screens (kindle and paperwhite) last for weeks as they only consume power when you turn a page.

The batteries on the tablets, (Fire, ipad etc) consume power all the time when you use them for the backlight and life will be hours.