on their way to garden near you!

• Caz WCaz W Posts: 1,353

Around 12 long tailed tits flew into the garden yesterday afternoon and all piled on to the fat ball feeder.  They stayed for around 10 minutes, had a good scoff and off they all went.  Fabulous - glad I happened to be looking out of the window at the right time. image

• Nadolig,

The chances are that this family of LT Tits will have a regular round during the winter, so I'm sure you'll see them again.

Hope so Joe - will keep my camera handy image

• mym um has had red caps on her feeders in a pretty built up housing estate in bristol(north common).

along with black birds, starlings, tits, chaffinches, robins squirrels and pigeons.

i live in bristol too in a garden that has no tree's bushes shrubs and such like, just pebbles and 2 small patio's. we only moved in this year but am hoping to get more done and attract some birds. there are plenty around i think its just a case of attracting them to the garden. any advice fellow bird lovers?

• Jean GenieJean Genie Posts: 1,724

You could invest in a free-standing bird table and hang fat ball feeders from it. We.ve done that on the patio and it's positioned near the kitchen window so we get a good view. The only problem we have with ours is a large squirrel who sometimes sits in the middle of it and helps himself.

If you have fencing , you could attatch small brackets to it and hang the feeders from them. I also throw a handful on the patio for the ground feeders.image

Been reading that the waxwings are on their way. image

• budlia63budlia63 Posts: 141

i feed all the bird the same sunflower hearts, niger seed, fat peckers , mealworms and suet blocks get loads of tits, finches, robin, thrush, wren, pair of collard doves, starlings and even a pheasant for a week last spring.  ours is a tiny garden and it has taken them some time to get used to there being lots of food mayb 3 years?  I use seed feeders and hanging tables in trees and on pergola great interest and hours of fun for them and me image

• I have noticed that there is something in the air,birdsong is taking off again and I hear the blackbirds again and the wren has re-appeared seems to be a spring feel,or am I just dreaming and wishing for spring!

• Gnome,

We had a nice flock of 60 Waxwings here on Christmas Eve. Watched from as close as eight feet. Fantastic birds.

Flowering Rose - today I also noticed that the birds are certainly getting noisier.  The blackbird was still singing around 5.30 pm.

• cowslip2cowslip2 Posts: 112

Has anyone ever seen a jay feeding from a nut feeder. I was dumbfounded to see this a couple of times in the last day or so.