on their way to garden near you!

• Better table manners than the Goldfinches then, Bjay.image

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

imageimage

And their bibs!

• just heard in the garden that clacking sound of the imagered wings they have arrived! I also saw in the churchyard a group of Jays sitting on  a tree,they are so colourful and normally they are quite shy but I got a close view today.

• Rose,

I think it's the Fieldfares who make the clacking noise.

• ah! well they must be in the area!image

• lisa69lisa69 Posts: 119

I,ve been really lucky this year, we have long tailed tits, coal tits, goldfinches, greenfinches, even had a bullfinch earlier in the year.  We have an abundance of starlings which I  have to say I have welcomed since reading here they are becoming endangered, but yesterday there was a redwing in the hawthorne tree image.  The gardens been a hive of activity I could watch them all day with their funny antics.

• LunarzLunarz Posts: 93

The blackbirds were pretty much absent from my garden all year, but suddenly this week they have all arrived, and I can also see lots of them eating my neighbours fallen apples too.  I have lots of great tits and blue tits so I'll be very careful with this avian pox - luckily I have the ring-pull feeders which come completely apart and can be washed in the dishwasher so I will up that from once a month to once every other week.  I've had loads of goldfinch this year but only a couple remain, and even a male and female green finch with one fledgling, which I was really happy about as they nearly died out in the last couple of years with a greenfinch specific disease.  As for the starlings - they are certainly not in trouble here in Lincolnshire - I get 50 or 60 of them in my garden all day at the moment and I find them a complete pest to be honest in terms of eating all the food I put out for the other birds and covering my small garden in starling droppings  It is a small consolation that I am helping a declining species, but I do hope they migrate this week!

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

Blackbirds have returned to my garden this week as well. I am going to attempt to put out a feeder I saw on another thread for them covering seeds with  up-turned wire hanging basket to stop the wood pigeons. We have also seen a little wren, but as she was feeding in a different place I will put out some for her. Does anyone know if they will eat mealworms?

• LunarzLunarz Posts: 93

Blackbirds will definitely love the mealworms, and suet granules which I noticed that they are now selling in supermarkets.  So will the robins.  Not sure about the wren.  

• I saw on the common during the break in cold spell, a group of starlings having a lovely time in a deep puddle,they looked like they were really enjoying it,cold I would of thought but they must of longed to get rid of those mites.image