Forum home Talkback

Favourite Christmas Song and Carol?

Ooohh I like loads.  A couple of faves are :

The Holly and the Ivy. 

Once in Royal David City.........stood a lowly cattle shed.

Silent night, are just a few. 

• in the deep mid winter , stormy winds will moan   brill

stan

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,554

One of my favourites is a carol that is only sung in South Yorkshire and North Derbyshire, dating back to about 1800 and now only sung in certain pubs. It's called Hail Smiling Morn and is very jolly.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6pW_g7bbNQk

Anyone who wants to try a "Sheffield carol" can look at the venues on the Village Carols website.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • happymarionhappymarion Posts: 4,591

I saw the play "Lilies on the Land " on Wednesday night about the Women's Land Army and there was a Xmas episode when the landgirls who fraternised with the Italian and German prisoners of war who were put to work helping them in the fields where they all sang "Silent Night" first in English, then in German.  It was quite beautiful and very moving.  Not for the only time during the play the tears were rolling down my cheeks.

• Pipes of Peace by Paul McCartney always bring shivers down my spine.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,607

Silent night is one of my favs. Reminds me of my friend, back in the 60's mum who was German.

Also, Hail,Hail.

Has anyone seen the film Silent Night, its on TV tonight, well worth a watch .

Y

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Stop the Cavalry by Jonah Lewie and the Coventry Carol.

Stille nach, heilige nacht, alle klar, langsam var

Not sure if its right Lyn but that's what I remember from german in year 10.

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Favourite Carol is Silent Night which brings a tear to my eye for the history of it.  An old song that does the same is The Little Boy That Santa Claus Forgot.  

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,554

Fairytale of New York - yay!imageimageimage

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,198

Judy singing 'Have yourself a merry little Christmas' always makes me teary and I love Greg Lake's  'I believe in Father Christmas' with the Prokofiev at the end. image

Proper carols or hymns - for me, it's hard to beat Hark the Herald Angels Sing, but I love the piece of music 'Crown of Roses' ( Tchaikovsky) which I first heard sung donkey's years ago by the King's Singers. Very moving.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

What great choices! I love that so few people on here are barrrrr humbug. I love christmas!

For me, it's a toss up between Mary's Boy Child by Boney M and Little Donkey!