Forum home The potting shed

Washing fleece

I 'found' a couple of pieces of garden fleece lurking behind my log pile today. They are complete, not chewed or ripped. I had just forgotten about them. However, they are muddy and a bit green. Can I wash them in the washing machine? Would they survive a gentle wash cycle? Has anyone one ever done this? 

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

I've washed some before, in the summer outside in a trug and rinsed with the hose & pegged out to dry. I wouldn't put in the washing machine in case they fall to bits and block your washer pump image

• I've machine-washed some pieces, they did go a bit fluffy in places but held together. Some kinds are much stronger than others, I've found. I'd give it a go, on a gentle programme.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

I have to disagree the call out charge (and likely additional costs due to inappropriate use) to unblock a pump is more costly than new fleece. I would not risk it. Even if you do you'd have to put your washer through an empty hot wash to ensure it was fit to put clothes in. 

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Rather than risking the washing machine, dunk it in the sink and do it by hand.  Do it on a dry day so you can hang it on the line to drip dry.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,180

have you a bucket , water butt or something similar. I'm sure they don't need "washing", but just a rinse to freshen them up a bit?? If not , I'd sooner give them a sloosh in the bath rather than the washing machine ( easier to clean )

Devon.
  • Oh dear - I am a bit spooked. I think I will use my big sink in the utility room. At least they will not block the machine - I had not thought about that. Thank you.  

• You could pop it in an old pillow case so that any loose bits don't escape & cause damage.

(I thought this thread was going to be about washing a sheep's fleece - now there's a mucky job!)

• Don't bespooked! Pop it in an old pillowcase and dunk it up & down in your sink with detergent, then rinse and investigate, hang up and see how it is! Always worth a try? Do say how you got on!x

• Which animal does the fleece come from  if it is sheeps wool then it must be boiled  preferably in an old metal bucket  if you boil it; chuck in some wood shavings for pink wool and conkers if you can find any or nettles for green tint etc.  the conkers are to act as a mordant to ;set; the colour so it should run too much

• Think you will find its garden fleece