East facing lean to greenhousew?

Morning to all, I was going to say on this grey November morning (again) then realised it was December already!

I'm toying with the idea of a lean to. We only have an east facing wall available Our south aspect of the house is totally taken up already by a utility room and garage. 

Is this a viable position? We do get very hot sun here in the summer and an east facing lean to would catch the morning sun but be protected from the full mid-day sun.

I'm thinking is the lean to worth it, or should I just go for a cold frame instead?

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 1,197

PS don't know where the w came from in the thread title, or how to edit it image

• It depends on what you wish to use it for and what you want to grow.  More versatility ( and height ! ) with a lean to than a cold frame but more expensive.  Only you can really make that choiceimage

Thanks phillippa, I can see from what you are saying one doesn't replace the other.

I was thinking mostly of growing tomatoes and cucumbers, They were the only things we had to buy in this year vegetable wise, perhaps get some veg to start early and propagate some fuchsias for hanging baskets .image

It would be right next to our outdoor boiling room, so heating it might be possible too.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

My lean to faces East and it is fine; grow toms, cucumbers, peppers and aubergines plus an apricot tree. Have a frost buster that kicks in when it is about 5 or 6 c. It still get sunlight from the South until about 4.00pm.image

Thanks artjak good to know it will work out OK. Just need to save up a lot of money now, seems I've got more projects than ever to think about. I'm blaming it on the cold and rain here today keeping me indoors. image