Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Is it safe to plant Neem tree 2 mtr away from house

I have planted 3 neem trees to cover my house from sun in summer. I am just wondering if the neem trees would damage the house or wall. They are positioned 2 meter away from house and 1 meter away from wall. Gardener told me it will not harm the house and roots are ok. Others told me to prune it constantly while some said it will ruin structure. So I'm lost but I really like neem tree and wouldn't want to remove it unless critical.

• I've never heard of a neem tree, but a total of 3 metres doesn't sound very much for a tree to be in. 

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Halaf, are you living in the UK, That tree would not survive here, I wouldnt think, they like hot dry soil.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Lyn, that just occurred to me.   I was also thinking that it's quite rare for the sun to be a problem in the UK for more than a few days.  (normally that isimage)

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

you need to come back now Halaf, we are all intrigued by your treeimage

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• According to this http://en.howtopedia.org/wiki/How_to_Grow_Neem_Trees  they grow into very large trees

"....Neem trees are attractive broad-leaved evergreens that can grow up to 30 m tall and 2.5 m in girth. Their spreading branches form rounded crowns as much as 20 m across..."

and it can also have a huge root system - not a good idea anywhere near a building. 

If you want to grow a Neem tree apparently they can be grown in pots http://www.discoverneem.com/how-to-grow-neem-trees.html

But not outside in the UK image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Hey there .. sorry for the late reply .. thanks all for your replies. 

will i'm not in the UK .. the tree is grown in Bahrain (where there is plenty of sun). I've seen the tree grow in many houses and near many walls and didn't cause any problems. 

The gardeners that planted it assured me that there is no problem at all with the Neem tree (and back at their home in India it is planted everywhere) - some have suggested that i prune it regularly to make sure it doesn't develop a huge root system and goes wild. So I still am not sure. I have planted the trees and they are 3 meters apart from each other and they are 2 meters away from the house itself. 

The good thing about the tree that it gives a good shade. It acts as a very good air purifier interns of turning CO2 into Oxygen (even during night!!) .. it also repels flies and causes mosquitos to not be able to multiply in the area. 

But i'm not sure whether to keep it or not. Or keep it and then remove it when it gets bigger. 

Many have told me to remove it (but they don't have any background in plants and gardening) .. others working for the Ministry of Waters have said it doesn't affect pipes and doesn't go into cracks .. while gardeners have assured me there is no harm at all from it .. 

but i'm still worried (although I really really like the tree and would like to keep it). 

• Thanks a lot .. happy new year too image and all the best to you and the family 

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

I use neem oil as a garden / greenhouse bug spray, information via net says its quite a clever oil and is very good bug friendly, and used in many countries since time began sort of, I also found that trying to grow one was a no.no in UK so bought the oil via the net, fancy having a tree full of it sell it by the bucket,image