Forum home Talkback

layered cuttings

Could any of you keen gardeners tell me when is the best time to remove layered cuttings from the parent plant? I've layered several: Abelia, Actinidia, Acer, Ameliancher, Azalea, Camellia, Callicarpa, Ceanothus, Clematis, Chaenomeles, Cotoneaster, Desfontainea, Drimys, Erica, Exochorda, Juniper, Myrtle, Parthenocissus, Photinia, Rhododendron, Rubus Benendem, Spirea, Tilia, Viburnum, Wisteria.

Thanks, Jess

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,786

Hi jess image

I usually find it takes a good 12 months to get a reliably rooted plant.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Jess......you have been busyimage  I would have thought that once the layer has a nice root system and showing new growth, it would then be safe to sever from the parent plant.  Some of those you mention could take quite some time to get to that stage I'd think?

• Gosh, thanks, keen gardeners; I didn't expect to get a response so quickly! 

It's not gardening weather Jess - we take longer when we're outside with mud on our fingers image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• It's always gardening weather here........Pigs and Muck spring readily to mindimage

A "peasant" day Verdun ?  I take it you all wander round with straw in your mouths and go "Ooh arrrr".  (forgive my bad accent )image

We had a lovely sunny morning - but it's been tipping it down again this afternoon - not gardening in that! image