Aftercare of tree lilies

• We have beautiful tree lilies but we need to know when we can cut them down. We will cover them for winter but never remember when we should cut then down and when we do, should it be level with the ground>

Thanks Norma 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,038

Wait until the stems are dead and pull away easily from the bulb.  Don't cut the stems while they are green as they are still feeding the bulbs ready for next year.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Thank you very much this is very helpful.

• MikekallyMikekally Dublin, IrelandPosts: 13
    Hi quick question in an old thread. Is it possible to pinch out the growing tip on tree lilies so they don't grow above, say, 1.8m? The space they're in they would be perfect at that height, but any taller and they'll be pushing through a slight overhang into the house! 😁
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 1,436
    I never knew about or saw a tree lily until last year .  I bought and potted some bulbs. .....looking forward to seeing them flower this year fingers crossed. 
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,038
    Mikekally said:
    Hi quick question in an old thread. Is it possible to pinch out the growing tip on tree lilies so they don't grow above, say, 1.8m? The space they're in they would be perfect at that height, but any taller and they'll be pushing through a slight overhang into the house! 😁
    If you do that, I'm fairly certain that you'd lose the flowers which form at the end of the growing tip.  I've never seen one produce sideshoots from the main stem so don't think they would do that either, but could be wrong.  Try being mean when it comes to feeding them, perhaps?  The ones I grow in pots rarely get above 1.5m.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,582
    The flower buds are in the growing tip ... pinch it out and you'll not get flowers.  

The right flowers in the wrong place ... are they in a container ... can you move them now?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• MikekallyMikekally Dublin, IrelandPosts: 13
    Thanks both, that's what I thought you might say!

I could probably relocate it easy enough now, they're planted directly - I'm just not 100% sure it's a tree lily, as there's also an asiatic lily bulb floating around somewhere (we moved two flowerbeds and everything got muddled up, so this season will be a bit of a who's who guessing game). Better to move it just in case, though!
  • Big Blue SkyBig Blue Sky Posts: 373

I planted tree lilies in different places in my garden - and found that at some places they grow great, in others - not good at all. I was wondering what would be a good time to replant some of them and move them to a better spot? Is it now, in July - as they are quite healthy and should survive the move quite well, or better to do it in Autumn, when they are dormant, or in Spring, when they are waking up? All confused now :/

This is their first summer, so they wouldn't be too mature. All grow in the ground, not pots.

• My tree lilies were attacked by something before they had a chance to flower, it damaged some of the flowers. Any ideas what it might have been, I could see no bugs so I am going down the bird avenue.