Forum home Talkback

Citrus - When to water?

I got my citrus in August and it started to flourish. I just got back from a business trip and found that the leaves are wilting and the one small lemon I had has dropped off. my instinct is to give it a good water but am a little paranoid about over watering. It is kept in the coservatory and gets good light So I don't think its the light. I last watered it around 3-4 weeks ago.

Any advice gratefully received!

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,227

Lemons are quite delicate. More so than the orange varieties. They can tolerate cold but only if it comes on and disappears gradually. Has your conservatory got under floor heating? Could the tree have got very cold overnight under glass without roof blinds?

They don't like to be waterlogged but they don't like to be dried out either. Little and often is best with watering. If you put your fingers firmly onto the surface of the compost and nothing comes away on your hand, give the plant maybe a cupful or so (depending on the size of the pot of course). If the compost begins to look sour or in anyway unpleasant stop watering so much.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Citrus do tend to do better outside for as long as possible (depending on your site obviously ) but I haven't noticed any difference between Lemon and Orange.  Mine are planted outside and whilst mature trees will take a certain amount of frost, (fleecing them will help keep the worst off ), they do require sharp drainage.  Cold ( to a certain degree) is OK  but wet and cold is not good for these treesimage 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,227

I only say that because when I was a young thing a lovely Italian man once showed me his lemons and said how much more delicate they were than his oranges......image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.