Apple detritus

Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

Have just cleared a full barrow load of rotten apples from bottom of three trees.

where do you think I should put them?

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
A A Milne

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Either in the compost or if you have a suitable hard surface spread them out for the blackbirds, and fieldfares to pick over. When they have finished with them sweep them up for the compost heap.
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Blackbirds feed off the ground as do robins. We have a lot in the garden at the moment; probably migratory from Scandinavia.

I chucked down the last of my sweetcorn and the birds devoured those too.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,439

I'd leave them on the ground for the birds - blackbirds, redwings and fieldfares love them - they won't be able to eat them if they're strung up.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

We have to work rotavate so that is the only reason they have been lifted. I agree the birds love them but there are literally hundreds image

The yard has been cleaned and scrubbed ready for the winter don't think they would be too pleased with me if I scattered them on it, but there is always a corner somewhere.image

thanks for all the suggestions OH thought we could fill one of the ponds and hope for cider in the spring image

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,087

OH might need to add some yeast and sugar Lily,  aside from that an excellent plan, lateral thinkingimage

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Thought he ate worms as well Edd or was it slugsimage.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,439

imageimageimage

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh