Winter composting

Hi all, just a quick question from a compost novice. 

I inherited a Dalek style compost bin with our new house and have been using it all summer, putting in a mix of kitchen peelings, garden trimmings, grass cuttings and some shredded paper from time to time. I have emptied it and turned it a few times and it seems to be going OK but I'm not sure what is best to do over the winter. It will be cold and also wont have the benefit of any weeds, prunings and grass cuttings to keep it activated. Should I stop feeding it with its daily supply of raw veg peelings? I don't want to end up with a thick layer of soggy veg on the top by the time the weather warms up. image   What do people recommend? 

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

Daryl2. I have one as well and just keep going! I add more paper than usual, egg boxes etc and turn every time I pass  Never had slimy messimage

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,711

Hi Daryl image

I would continue to add your peelings, cabbage leaves etc and from time to time I'd open the lid and give it all good stirring to aerate and mix it. 

I use a long metal spike I happen to have in the garden, but you can buy a compost aerator online.  It will continue to breakdown over the winter.  It's not the heat that does it (few garden compost bins are big enough to generate enough heat to do that), but a combination of bacterial/fungal action and the work of the worms and slugs that hopefully have  found their way into your compost bin.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Daryl2Daryl2 Posts: 452

Oh, great! Thanks for that image I'll just keep going then. Can't wait to be able to use some of my 'home grown' compost next year. 

Enjoy the weekend! Hope you all find time to get out in the late autumn sunshine. It's almost warm enough for a T-shirt here. Lovely !

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,718

keep on composting. I reckon I've made over 20 tons this year thanks to my local tree surgeon bringing me his chippings to mix with the tons of grass clippings we produce.

Devon.
  • Daryl2Daryl2 Posts: 452

Wow - that's a lot of compost! I guess you have a lot of beds and borders to spread it on?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,718

Daryl2, we moved here 3 years ago and with thick heavy clay, I need to add as much as I can.

Devon.