Mexican Orange Blossom

...I just wanted to know if this is normal?

It's very healthy, had a great flush of new, fresh green leaves in the Spring and has gained a lot in size this year.

Planted n May 2011, ordinary soil, mainly compost and a little original heavier clay soil, in raised bed with an acer, a rose and some herbaceous perennials.

Not so much as a sign of a flower.

Am I doing something wrong or is it just time and maybe not so much rain as this year?

• How big is it? The plant sounds as though it is settling in well and putting on growth...it may not be big or established enough for flowering just yet - hopefully next year. 

• Hi Daintiness - thanks image

It's about 80cm tall I think and almost as wide- beautiful plant.

I intend to leave it in peace and see what happens next year, but was also wondering if i ought to be cutting it back a bit or not? Would that encourage it to flower at all?

• thanks Christopher - great advice

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,768

Can I make a plea for you not to cut it back unless you absolutely have to?  

I have found that choisyas respond to the knife by putting on huge amounts of growth (which defeats the usual object of cutting them back) and in my experience they almost invariably do not flower as well as previously following hard pruning.

Just a light trim after flowering should be enough.  

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?PID=168

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • Talking about pruning........do hydrangeas do the same? I pruned two of them two years ago and did not expect them to flower last year, but they have not done so this year either. They are looking very robust and healthy too.I just hope it is just an extra looooong sulk and buckup next year! Anyone have a similar problem?

• Thanks Dove - shall do!

• Thanks Christopher, you are a star!