Carrot problem

GWRSGWRS Posts: 5,314

dug up some carrots on Monday first time for a couple weeks and found a problem , so took a picture , wondered what the problem was , hope somebody can help ?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,623

I would say it look more like carrot fly:

http://www.gardenworldimages.com/Details.aspx?ID=2966&TypeID=1

Bad news either way. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • I'd have to agree with Bob. Nasty little critters! Got them here as well.

• LynLyn Posts: 9,033

Can be avoided by placing a 2ft high plastic barrier around your carrot bed or grow in a 2ft high raised bed.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
  • Covering with fleece works every time for me. Good luck next time.

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 3,713
    I'd definitely go with the fleece / mesh protection. I know carrot fly are supposed to fly below 45 - 60 cm but my raised beds are higher than this & I still have a problem with this pest - mesh is the only thing that works for me.

Thinning out seedlings can exacerbate the problem as the smell attracts the flies. Best, therefore, to always sow very thinly. image
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • LynLyn Posts: 9,033

I grow groups of chives round mine but never had it, dad reckons she cant fly this high above sea level. I dont know if he's having me on, but in all the years he's grown them the fly has never struck.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 5,314

Hello all thanks for the info , never had carrot fly before , must have attracted the blighters when dug some up before because thre carrots where fine

Never thin out and have in the past sown between Garlic 

You live and learn with gardening