Forum home Wildlife gardening

What are your favourite native flowers?

As we are in the wildlife bit lets go native! I know plenty of cultivars are good for bees and other bugs too, but I do like a selection of natives growing in the garden.

Top one, Foxgloves, love 'em and for me they can rival anything I've ever seen in a garden image

Favourite bulb, snake's head fritillary, just love those delicate bobbing heads and as rare as a very rare thing in the wilds these days.

Around a pond, can't beat a good stand of  Purple Loosestrife and some Yellow Flag.

That's my must have list, over to you image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,251

Snowdrops and hazel catkins - they flower in January - my birthday month image  My heart leaps when I see a hedge of hazel catkins blowing in the breeze on a sunny day in winter image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

English bluebells, in their proper setting.....wouldn't want them in my garden..

...Woodbine honeysuckle....in a hedgerow... amongst others...

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286

Not sure that counts Edd image

English bluebells and hazel catkins remind me of country walks with my mum when I was really little image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,869

Where to startimage

Harebells, yellow bedstraw because I like the scent, lesser knapweed because it puts up with my soil and competes with the grass. Lots of peas; common vetch, birdsfoot trefoil and tufted vetch especially.

Plus all those others have mentioned but not cauliflower, it gives me belly acheimage

I forgot vipers bugloss

• My favourite is definitely the primrose, so beautiful en masse in woodlands in spring. It also manages to beautify the banks along the parkways in Peterborough, and that's a tall order!

There's a nice bank of cowslips on one of the parkways as well Landgirlimage

also I like yellow rattle, it really does reduce the grassimage 

Harebells lived in the chalk grassland around Cambridge when I was a kid Susan.

They grew better there than they do for me. I've also seen an excellent showing between the slabs on a friend's patio.

I've set some going in the gravel where I keep the babies. I hope I don't come to regret thatimage

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,439

I love English bluebells and their scent. Also cowslips, on the thin limestone soil here there are loads in the spring. We have lots of wild orchids too.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Foxgloves, freesias (nan's favourite and can't beat the smell), primrose.