Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

dwarf raspberries

I am considering re stocking my raspberries as they are a few years old. It has been suggested, because I am knocking on a bit, that I should grow the dwarf  variety, as they are very low maintenance. Has anyone tried them,and are they worth growing? Ruby beauty has been suggested

• I agree with Verdun.  If I were to grow only one type of raspberry, it would have to be Polka, a wonderful autumn variety.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • I'm knocking on a bit too. Would only grow autumn varieties like Joan J. Autumn bliss OK but not a patch on JJ except maybe just slightly better flavour. Summer varieties too readily avaiable in the shops and more trouble to grow. Don't see the point in bending to pick raspbaerries when the others grow at such a convenient height.

• EkayEkay Posts: 6

Once again the forum devotees have come to my with lots of info and help.  I think I will give the autumn varieties a go

• Another vote here for Polka - huge crops of large juicy berries - my freezer has lots of home grown raspberries waiting to make lovely desserts for Christmas, we have shelves of raspberry jam in the garage, and we were eating raspberries with our breakfast or for supper almost every day from early August through to early October.  All from 3 canes planted two years ago.  image

Easy to care for, but give them plenty of room and water in dry spells. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,352

A bit late joining in this discussion but another vote here for autumn fruiters!

I find they require less support than summer ones because they are cut hard back each year - they require no protection from birds (guess there is plenty of other food for birds by September) - and they have a much longer fruiting season than the summer varieties.

Apparently (but I haven't tried this myself ) you can leave a few canes uncut in the winter and those canes will behave as summer varieties and produce an earlier crop. If it works this would give the best of both worlds.

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

I've neglected my raspberry canes. Shall I just leave them or prune back do you think?

• Are they summer or autumn fruiting ones Tootles?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.