My 2 stroke oil solidified on bottle I tapped it into the petrol tank, problem?

the solidified oil went into my hedgtrimmer fuel can,when i poured it into the tank watch for it and didn't see it go fuel tank.  If it does will it mess up the engine or will it just dissolve?

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 1,252

Fuel or oil that has gone to a gel with age could block a jet in the carburetor, it is unlikely to cause any serious engine damage. Most likely when mixed with fresh fuel as you say it will dissolve. If you find it is running OK, no worries, if it gets difficult or impossible to start or starts but won't idle or pick up properly, dismantle the carb and give it a good clean out with an airline. image

Chances are though, it won't be a problem.

PS if it has a fuel filter/strainer fitted, clean that out first, as any sludge from the fuel tank should collect there before getting to the carb.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,088

I'd be concerned re not enough liquid oil within the petrol to avoid seizure. But I'm no mechanic. I keep an OH for that sort of thingimage

I read it that the oil mix was correct but some bits went in to the fuel tank. But you are spot on nutcutlet, one shouldn't try to run it at all with the wrong oil mix.

If really concerned jon you can always empty the fuel tank, flush it out and start over.

(ps if anyone is wondering why an ecologist is giving mechanical advice, I happen to also be a qualified motorcycle mechanic and restore them as a hobby, do all my own maintenance on my cultivator, brush cutter, chipper etc  - amazing what those wilderness years from around 25-30 can bring into life image)

• Also, how should you leave the petrol standing in a fuel can mixed or just by itself?  I know petrol goes off.

• What do you mean flush it out?  how do you do that?

Oh Edd you are dreadful image

Jon, by flushing it out I mean remove and drain the fuel tank. Add some fresh fuel and swill it around, then drain it out again. That should help remove any contamination.

As for leaving the fuel mix standing, I don't I make up my mix on the day.

Unleaded fuel has a relatively short shelf life. I can almost guarantee that in 90% of cases of engine starting problems it is just a case that the fuel is old and needs to be replaced with fresh. So make up your mix on the day with fresh fuel to avoid problems. You can buy quite small measuring bottles to make the mix up in, which will just fill the tank on the machine.image

• davids10davids10 Posts: 894

or you can dump a can of stp or some other engine cleaner in it-it will smoke like the devil when you start it but will clean itself out.

• you can pull the fuel tank off the strimmer or mower or whatever?

how old should you let petrol get before thowing it in a can or how long to let it stand in the tank?

How long is a piece of string jon? Fuel goes off, so if I have problems starting a machine, my first thought is always to put in fresh fuel.

If it starts on old fuel already in the tank and with a two stroke it has the correct oil mix, use it.

You can take the petrol tank off anything, it may involve undoing nuts and bolts, carefully removing and clamping tubes etc.

Have you actually got problems with starting it?