Hidden Villages

I'm absolutely loving this series on the 'More 4' TV channel and would rather expect that it would appeal to almost everyone using this forum.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/penelope-keiths-hidden-villages

Please do give it a go! image

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 1,197

Sounds right up my street, or more accurately the only road that goes through our village image

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 12,252

They won't be hidden for long now.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • my only complaint is that she spends so little time in each place....only just enough to whet your appetite then she's off afgain

• She visited my neighbouring village (Abbots Bromley, Staffordshire) in her previous episode....intrigued by the local 'horn dance' apparently.

I saw a good programme on tv last year about the horn dance. More info to be found on the litchfieldlore website. 

Have you seen the dance David? I love these old peculiar traditions but I have never been in the Litchfield area at the right time of year. Rellies live there.

Sheffield has two sword dances, one at Grenoside and one at Handsworth, which some say are ancient. They look strange too. They take place over the Christmas hols.

• 'Have you seen the dance David?'

Indeed I have, Pansy....very much a local event.

The custodians for millennia of the horns are two local families, one being the Fowell family..one of which is a friend and ex work colleague.   

And they keep them in St Nicholas church and one set got carbon dated to the time of the Norman conquest? Amazingimage

That's quite right, Pansy....I'm around this area.

I bet Armitage with Handsacre isn't as long as its nameimage

• pansyface wrote (see)

I bet Armitage with Handsacre isn't as long as its nameimage

image...Armitage claim to fame being ceramic bathroom/toilet-ware....very small village, just the same.