Evergreen hedge screen

I need to plant a screen of approx. 15 meters in length, created by removal of several old sycamores due to an adjacent  new house build on what was a bungalow site.  I now wish to plant a screen in what will be an improved bank that will provide privacy during winter as well as the summer, hence the removal of the sycamores.  I have been reading all my books and advice on line and I am considering planting a mixture of predominantly Cherry Laurel with perhaps the inclusion of Cotoneaster Franchetti, ? Escallonia "Iveyi" and a  small section of Purple Beech.  These choices only come about because although Laurel isn't my favourite it seems to be one of the fastest growing but I would like it to be a bit more interesting to look at and for the birds.  Any views on whether my plant choices are totally wrong or would work, or indeed suggestions for alternatives if my ideas are rubbish, would be much appreciated.  Many many thanks.

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,031

Seems a good mixture , have you thought of adding the odd Hawthorn , Holly , Lilac 

Have you had a look at what grows locally image

Best of Luck with whatever you do 

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

I have about the same length at the bottom of my garden which was badly overlooked when we first lived here and I have grown a mixture of yew, holly, pyracantha and laurel.  We are now not overlooked but it took a few years to achieve.  Don't forget that you may have to trim it in the future.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,218

I'd choose things that you like to look at. You are going to be looking at them for some time.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • I am thinking of planting an Instant hedge grown in a bag 6ft tall 1 metre length anyone tried this?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,218

I have never heard of an instant hedge grown in a bag. Please go on....

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    The mix is fine but put some wild roses and honeysuckle and hawthorn