Forum home Talkback

Lily-of-the-valley where do you grow yours?

Mine do best in shade but their best isn't that great for meimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

No, definitely not Susan.

Not enough, Can't get them to thrive.

But, like Philippa, the Solomons seal goes well.

My mother had a huge patch in shade, her soil was gravelly and like concrete in summer. With hindsight (I wasn't a gardener then) they may not have been brilliant but it was a big patch and they floweredimage

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Mine are in a very shady area, in fact it hardly gets any sun.  A friend gave me a small clump some years ago and they did take a while to get going.  Now they are lovely and are spreading which I don't mind one bit.  

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

Mine are in a spring flowering bed in the lee of a wall. Starts with forsythia bush, lilac tree, pulmonary a helibores, then up pop the Lily of the valley, ( never too many for me) they are such a delicate beauty.  They are coming up in the path now but just along the side and the few I dug up and transplanted a few years ago have thrived in between the fritillaries .

i have been in this garden 8 growing seasons and they are just a joy, never able to be called a thug. image

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,170

I keep mine in pots, I can control the slug population better in there, as soon as they poke through the soil, they get chewed back.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

i bought three bulbs from a catalogue, it's so long ago I am sorry I can't remember which.  I have no loyalty I am afraid, I just go with the one with the best deals!

It is probably sheer luck that they are doing so well, it's the sunny end of the bed and I have a thick layer of chipbark so there is good drainage. I haven't tried moving them but I do move my Lily of the Valley in the green.  Just added 3 trilliums has anyone  any tips on them? I have lost them before and they are so expensive!

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Mine now grow well in a dry bed with ferns, semi shade,  4 yrs to mature. No place for them to spread to image They flower and smell wonderful. Grow them as my Gran was named Lily image

• MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951
    I was given a pieris from a neighbour who was having a ' clear out'. Noticed later a clump of lily of the valley with them. If they do well they will have space to spread but haven't yet seen them in flower. Always remember mum having them, spreading like wildfire through any crack in paving they could find...