Forum home Talkback

Lily-of-the-valley where do you grow yours?

Mine do best in shade but their best isn't that great for meimage

• Susan....I have just moved mine  (again) as they failed to do anything this year.  I too have them in a woodland type area but whilst they produce healthy leaf growth, that's been about it.  image

OTOH, my Solomon's Seal thrives in the same settingimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,091

No, definitely not Susan.

Not enough, Can't get them to thrive.

But, like Philippa, the Solomons seal goes well.

My mother had a huge patch in shade, her soil was gravelly and like concrete in summer. With hindsight (I wasn't a gardener then) they may not have been brilliant but it was a big patch and they floweredimage

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Mine are in a very shady area, in fact it hardly gets any sun.  A friend gave me a small clump some years ago and they did take a while to get going.  Now they are lovely and are spreading which I don't mind one bit.  

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

Mine are in a spring flowering bed in the lee of a wall. Starts with forsythia bush, lilac tree, pulmonary a helibores, then up pop the Lily of the valley, ( never too many for me) they are such a delicate beauty.  They are coming up in the path now but just along the side and the few I dug up and transplanted a few years ago have thrived in between the fritillaries .

i have been in this garden 8 growing seasons and they are just a joy, never able to be called a thug. image

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,280

I keep mine in pots, I can control the slug population better in there, as soon as they poke through the soil, they get chewed back.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Lilly........did you start your Fritillaries ( meleagris ? ) from "green" plants or dried bulbs ?  I used to grow various ones years ago and would like to try them again but seem to recall the little shrivelled jobs rarely did much.  Any advice re a supplier ?

Thanksimage

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

i bought three bulbs from a catalogue, it's so long ago I am sorry I can't remember which.  I have no loyalty I am afraid, I just go with the one with the best deals!

It is probably sheer luck that they are doing so well, it's the sunny end of the bed and I have a thick layer of chipbark so there is good drainage. I haven't tried moving them but I do move my Lily of the Valley in the green.  Just added 3 trilliums has anyone  any tips on them? I have lost them before and they are so expensive!

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • Thanks Lillyimage