Mystery present from Mother-In-Law!

Hi!  My lovely mother-in-law gave me this plant from her garden - she has no idea what it is, and neither do I!  Would like to find out before I find a spot in the garden for it to call home!  Many thanks xx

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,205

Is that all it does or has it got surprises up its sleeves?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • I hope it has surprises Pansy, but I really don't know what it does the rest of the year when its not sitting in its pot looking a bit chilly!  MIL wasn't too helpful - she just sent it home with my husband and said she would like the pot back at some point (I quite like the pot........).  Any ideas?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,205

It looks familiar but that's not much help! Sorryimage

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Not sure but might be Nandina domestica.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,088

http://www.westfieldgardencentre.co.uk/resources/Leucothoe%20Scarletta.jpg

Not a plant I've grown but that is Leucothoe scarletta

Have a look at a few images and see what you think

• Agree Nut. Last week I used nandina in a gardening quiz... so much for my expertise. At least I think they are somewhat similar. Nice colour for this time of year. I might go out and get one or two.image

• Thanks - think it does look like Leucothoe S, though the one in your picture looks much happier than mine, haha!  Will hold onto it and find it a nice spot in the garden! xx

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,088

It may need acid soil, have you got that. I haven't checked now but I think that's why I don't grow it.

Or maybe I'm wrong and I could grow it.image

Hello WW, missed your post beforeimage

• Was just having a look - several pages say it will grow in most soils, but can benefit from an occasional acid feed.  Might be why its not looking at its best at the mo. image