Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: How to plant and grow asparagus

can i move asparagus i am moving ?

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

Yes, you can transplant asparagus. It can be tricky, particularly with anything like mature plants, because of the complexity of the root structure that will have developed. It's a bit like trying to unravel knots. Best done early in Spring, while they're still dormant. It took me a couple of goes to wangle out the roots without murdering too many of them.

• Ian 2Ian 2 Posts: 2

hi italophile sorry for long time reply ,

been up in the air with move regards Ian

• During the first two years of asparagus growth do you cut off the growth during that time or do you leave it to rot?

Thanks
  • Rizzo68Rizzo68 Posts: 5
    I'm in first year of planting asparagus bed, do I cut down the ferny stems at any time? If so when? Or do I just leave them for two years ?
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Just let them grow freely as the ferny stems are photosynthesising and feeding the roots - the more ferns the better.  Cut the stems down to about 5cm after they die in the autumn.  What you shouldn't do is start harvesting the young shoots in the first two springs after planting as you want the roots to establish and grow as much as possible.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • I'm preparing a raised bed now. It is in shade now but will get more sun in spring/summer. Is this ok as a lot of advice says dappled shade is kind of ok? There seems to be a lot of contradictory advice about the spacing of plants. Monty video says 12", RHS says 18" apart. A lot of other advice says 3ft between rows but RHS says 18" and Monty video is closer but not commented on. I've read a 4ft wide bed would take two rows but I'm not clear on spacing (grid or staggered!) especially around the edges.....