John Innes Compost

DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,667

We often get questions about John Innes composts - today's Gardener's Question Time visited the John Innes Centre near Norwich and many FAQs were answered. 

If you didn't hear it you can listen again here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qp2f

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,338

Thanks for that.

I don't see myself stirring up a mix in the kitchen somehow.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,667

Nor me image  It'd get in the mince pies at this time of year image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• davids10davids10 Posts: 894

we have a soil guru over here who is so dogmatic and annoying that as my friend Mara said the other day- we can't shoot the messenger so we'll shoot the message-to hell with his soil.image

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Does John Innes compost really make a big difference in people's experience? I tend to look at the price, and go for a cheaper option like Arthur j bowers or murphys.

• JI composts are (should be) made up to a fixed formula, and are soil based. Most of the others are peat or peat substitute based. Use whichever you are comfortable with. I rarely use any of them without altering them, by adding grit or sand or Perlite etc. or mixing a JI with a peat based. I remember many years ago getting some JI compost for my father who was shocked to find lots of grit in it. He sieved all out before using it. image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,667
    Tootles wrote (see)

Does John Innes compost really make a big difference in people's experience? I tend to look at the price, and go for a cheaper option like Arthur j bowers or murphys.

For tomatoes etc and annual bedding in containers I find a good MPC is fine.  

For potting anything else I use loam based JI composts - sometimes I add extra grit for things like bay, rosemary, figs etc and other plants that need really free-draining soil.  I use JI No 2 for growing on perennials etc and No 3 for shrubs, fruit trees etc that will be in the containers long term.