Forum home Plants

Identify - Bush / Hedge

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,881

I can't see the picture very clearly, but it looks like one of the escallonias to me - there are different varieties/colours and they can make very good hedges. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,251

Could you get a better photo of the leaves and the flowers? Also some idea of whether it has thorns or smooth bark, if it is evergreen and which country it is in?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Is it a camellia?

hopefully this gives a better view

thanks

• there are no thorns

flowers are pink

assume its an evergreen as it has not dropped its leaves by now

in surrey, england not abroad

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,745

Here is a googled picture of an escallonia - the slight jagginess of the leaf edges looks familiar - so I think Dove could well be right

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..looks as though someone has been pruning a Camellia at the wrong time of year...and pruned off all the flower buds...one or two are showing..one in flower...but not much more...   it appears to have been sheared off fairly recently...

..people put these plants in strange places...

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,438

Looks more Camellia-like to me too. If you look at the size of the bricks - the foliage looks too big to be Escallonia. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,093

I don't know acid soil plants but I don't think it's an escallonia. Are the bright pink bits flowers? A close up of one of those might help, at least to get the family likenesses establishedimage

here's a close up....