Foxglove

Hi all

Can i move a foxglove plant which is growing in the wrong area now or do i have to wait till spring I live in the south east of England its still quiet mild but turning colder a wet 

• Thank you Sue

I'll think I'll do it tomorrow when weather is better.

I put the bare root roses in yesterday and got in a right old mess with the mud imageimage

• I'm running out of space need a bigger garden and I still dont know what i'm doing image

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,218

We all need a bigger garden.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,269

Be careful what you wish for, I have a big garden and at the moment not coping at all well, very far behind! Anyone want it???image

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 1,259

I love foxgloves, hope I'm not jumping in too much but it follows on from OP's question. I know they self seed pretty freely, would it be unwise to place them near the veg plot, or would they be easy to spot and move them back out to the border? I want to attract bees with them to help pollinate some new fruit trees beside the veg. image

• BiljeBilje Posts: 427

I have foxgloves dotted here and there in my garden. I try to deadhead the spikes so they don't produce too much seed. Often fail though haha, one plant at the base of a fence has produced literally thousands of tiny seedlings. That said they are easy to weed even when they get bigger, not like teasels which are blighters to get out if they get sizeable. I moved a largish foxglove just a week or so ago and its perked up fine. Gemma I don't think you'd have a problem with them in the veg plot.

• I find them pretty distinctive to spot, a slightly pale rosette type plant with ever so slightly furry leaves.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,089

You can tell the difference by pulling them up Edd. Only the foxglove will comeimage

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 1,259

Glad the foxgloves won't do harm by the veg because I've got just the right spot for some. We had a mallow in the same place in the past and I've had a hell of a time getting mallow out of the veg plot this year because of it. Can't pull 'em out even with the ground waterlogged, they had to be dug out and some of the roots were at least 2 feet into the soil. Made me think a bit more about what's probably best not grown around the veg. image