Forum home Tools and techniques

No More Mower (or any engine) Starting Heartaches..

Hi,

I designed this unit for starting all my small engines.

I have one up for raffle (for Charity) if anyone is interested.

Appreciate all comments though !.

See it in action at :

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,192

Unsafe by design is my main concern. In order to use it with my lawnmower I would have to bypass the dead man's handle safety feature. That is a potentially fatal problem.

• Mark 499Mark 499 Posts: 380

I think this would have very limited appeal. Apart from the issue steephill mentions, most modern machinery starts with a couple of tugs on the cord anyway.

• Thanks for the feedback. The tri-pod helps with the lawnmower dead mans handle issue. (I'm holding the handle in the video). I guess I have grown 'attached' to some of my old equipment that still runs well after starting...A bit like myself image  .

Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286

It's clever, would save me tons of frustration starting my brush cutter which is an absolute pig to get started image But otherwise most of my machines start within a couple of fairly gently tugs. I think limited appeal for most able bodied people, but someone with back problems who dreads having to pull start a difficult machine might benefit from one.

• Thanks GemmJF. By the way a direct link to the charity raffle is :

https://rafflecreator.com/pages/4242/pull-starter

• Oh - by the way, funds raised in the raffle will be donated to the World Heart Federation.

• Hmm. Definitely not the way to start a chainsaw. If the chain brake were to fail could be messy. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 73,709

I think it looks really dangerous - you give that to someone as a prize and they get hurt using it you could get sued!

I'm sorry, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole and I hope that no one I cared about would touch it either.  If I couldn't start my machines I'd get a different sort of machine.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Foolish.

• That's probably the most dangerous thing I've ever seen and I've been working with mechanical equipment for years.

I'd defiantly not sell or give one away. The likelihood of a serious accident is odds on.

It would probability be easier to retro fit an electric starter.