Rubarb

We havve a two year old rhubarb plant which my husband cuts and cooks all summer. Does this sound right. i only thought it would be in the spring.

• FloBearFloBear Posts: 2,281

The usual advice is to stop pulling in mid-July (exactly when and will depend on the season) to give the plants a chance to gather strength for next year's crop. Also not to pull off all the stalks in any one section. I presume you know they need a lot of feeding: general fertiliser after cropping and a good mulch of compost or well-rotted manure over them in Jan/Feb.

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,569

FloBear  do i need to cut the rhubard right down before i cover with manure in Jan/Feb

and you said pulling does this meen dont cut just pull the storks when harvesting it

4711 (isn't that some sort of cologne?)  Stalks should be pulled right from ground level. If you hold it as low as you can and twist then it usually comes out cleanly. I don't know why it's done like this, probably the cut-off bits could get diseases or fungi or other troubles.

It's unlikely to need cutting down, the leaves and stalks will die off when the cold weather comes. For the first few years I had to mark where the plants were as there is nothing to be seen on the surface in Jan/Feb.

• Thank you 

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,569

many thanks for the info mate  good luck

Christopher, I did wonder whether to pick some more because mine took off big-time after I'd decided to stop. Still it will be in good fettle for next year!

• i have been given some small rhubarb and strawberry plants hows best way to  plant these plz

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,806

Not quite sure what you are asking- but anyway- strawberry plants about a foot or so apart with the crown at soil level

I will leave the rhubarb question to someone else