Forum home Talkback

Over wintering dahlias and gladioli

Hi,  Is it essential to wait until the first frost to blacken the leaves of these plants before we dig them up?  We still haven't had any frost as yet and the leaves are still healthy and green.  Normally we have had the frost by now! Will digging them up before the leaves have blackened ruin the tubers/corns for next years growth?

Thanks

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,318

Hi Trubill. This has been a frequent query recently as the mild weather has meant lots of plants still flowering when they'd usually be asleep for the winter! General opinion is no - they don't need to be blackened. Just lift and dry off as normal before storing. Gladioli are a bit different though as far as I'm aware. Most need to be protected by frost but it will depend where you live and what your conditions are. I'll try and find and bump up one of the other threads which might have the answers you're looking for image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,318

I've bumped up the other dahlia thread Trubill.

It's called 'I cannot wait for the first frost'

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• thank you both, it has been unusually mild - 2 of my gladioli have only just lost their last flowers!  Think I will risk taking them up sooner rather than later then.  I appreciate your help

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,040

I leave my glads in the ground over winter 

Dahlias blackened weeks ago but they are in pots so I just cut them down and put in greenhouse for over wintering , no watering , cover with compost and then repot in spring

So far never had any problems could just be lucky , live in Lincolnshireimage