Tree Branch Lopper Research

Does the appearance of the product matter?

How important is the price to you?

Would you want the ability to repair/maintain the product if necessary?

Would you prefer a basic scissor mechanism, or a ratchet system (improves cutting ability but increases complexity)?

Would you require telescopic handles? If so, how long?

Are the ergonomics of the product important?

Is the weight of the product important to you?

Would you spend more on the product if it was necessary for your occupation? Ie Tree Surgeon / Forester?

• Thanks for any responses.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,700

Price is important, I'd hope it shouldn't need repairing, ratchet is better than scissor, telescopic handles are handy, ergonomics goo too, too heavy makes for hard work if used for a long session and , yes, if I needed one for work, I'd pay more.

Hope this is of use.

Devon.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,860

Appearance is unimportant.  That is does the job effectively is the main requirement.

Price is certainly a factor but too cheap would put me off just as much as too expensive.

Interchangeable heads would be the ideal. Rachet systems tend to be bulkier and not always needed.

Telescopic handles make items more versatile but I wouldn't want to try to use anything more than about 4 metres extended.

I think ergonomics and weight are very closely related for usability.  No point having the best balanced tool if it's too heavy to work with.

Tools for professional use tend to be built to a higher spec than others.  I would only buy professional standard if I was going to get the use out of the item.  For example I bought Felco secateurs and have used the same pair for well over 20 years.

• I don't use loppers, I find between my secateurs, shears and silky saw, all jobs are covered.

• cheers guys, that information seriously helped image

• Mike Allen write my answers. image

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,263

I always thought tree branch loppers was the jobbie on the very long handles that you hook over the offending branch and pull the handle down. I have had a pair of these for many years.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.