Forum home Fruit & veg

Cordon Advice

I read in a book recently that cordons on a south facing wall should point from the west to the east.

Is this essential? I've got some trees should be arriving soon and it would be easier to fit them in with the existing garden if they lent to the left as you look at them. (which would be the opposite way to the advice in the book)

I get a bit frustrated when I pick up these snippets of information but don't understand the logic to them, so don't know if I should stick rigidly to what the book says or improvise image

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,283

Ta Verdun, trees arrived whilst I was out this morning, need to get them in some water and start digging image I thought it might be due to sunlight with the orientation. When I get out there I'll see if I can get them going west to east but not worry too much if I have to keep to the original plan of putting them in the other way.

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

I would guess it's to do with the shadow of one plant over the next plant???

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,283

That could be it Fleurisa, I guess I had not pictured the 'sticks' as my son described them today with leaves and fruit and couldn't really figure why the direction they point might be important.

I managed to get them going West to East in the end with a bit of compromise to the original plan. Put in four of six before it got too dark to work outside. image