Forum home The potting shed

Hedgehogs!

Hedgehog house has been deployed, hopefully one of of regulars will make use of it...

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

How about a photo Steve?mi would love to out one up in my wood but wouldn't know where to startimage

I pile up log mounds will that help? I haven't seen any evidence of any inhabitants image

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • There are lots of different types. Do you see hedgepigs?

Love the typo!  No not for a couple of years which is why I started putting piles around. We used to have a huge old chap who could go at some pace across the front of the house and ate half if the back gate to get in! But I haven't seen him this year.

presumably they are all hibernating just now? 

A A Milne
  • Our two regulars aren't. They appear for food each night.

ok, we are  rural here and back into farmland so presuming there is enough food

am I wrong? And what do I put out to make sure they get it and not our local fox!

A A Milne
  • Google has lots of info, definitely worth a bit of research. One of ours just turned up, the other I released after he spent some time in my clinic after being hurt.

thanks will doimage

A A Milne
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,923

I was wondering when to stop feeding tooimage Hardly ever see them but there's at least two. The food keeps going but I don't know if it's the pigs eating itimage 

• Ours are visible every evening in the garden, they say that if food is covered so other species don't nick it, you should stop feeding after a week of it not disappearing.

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,923

Righto- I'll do that. Still finding poo all over so they must still be out and aboutimage